in this Issue
MG Calendars Make Great Gifts
By Mary James
San Diego’s talented Master Gardeners have handcrafted items that make perfect gifts for gardeners. Here’s what we have for gardeners on your gift list.
- 2011 Wall and pocket calendars - Each month of the new year is marked by beautiful photographs of plants and wildlife taken by San Diego Master Gardeners in their own gardens. This one of-a-kind calendar highlights many drought-tolerant plants that thrive in San Diego. Plus special sustainable gardening and household tips every month will make it easier than ever to make those small changes around your home and garden that save time, energy and resources. $11 each.
Calendars can be ordered online. Click here to order and pay via Paypal.
The calendars, plus all of the items listed below, will be on display at San Diego Horticultural Society meetings on the second Monday of the month, starting with the Dec. 13 meeting. Details of the meeting and speaker are at www.sdhortsoc.org.
- Gauntlets - Available in two lengths, these gauntlets protect your sleeves and skin when you’re pruning roses and other thorny plants. Made from tough canvas. Washable. $20 for long gauntlets; $16 for short ones.
- Floral Note Cards – These cards with artistic photos of flowers are perfect for all your letter-writing needs. This elegant stationery and envelopes are printed on rich linen card stock. $8 for a bundle of 8 cards.
- Owl Boxes – Owl boxes encourage these feathered beauties to reside in your neighborhood by providing them a ”home” that is sturdy, roomy and safe from predators. Purchasers will receive information on how and where to install the box to make it irresistible to an owl family. Cost is $136. Free delivery in San Diego County. Cannot be shipped or delivered outside the county.
- Bat Boxes – Bats help control mosquitoes and other insect pests. Encourage them to nest around your property in one of our bat houses. Purchasers will receive information on how and where to install the boxes. Cost is $82. Free delivery in San Diego County. Cannot be shipped or delivered outside the county.
- “Songbirds, Owls and Bat Boxes” – This book details the many benefits of having songbirds, bats and owls in residence in your garden. While written with vineyards in mind, any one interested in nest boxes will find this guide useful. Includes patterns for boxes and advice on placing them. $16
- Garden Aprons – These stylish aprons are hand-sewn of denim from recycled jeans. Pockets are handy for holding garden gear. Available in a variety of sizes and styles. $20
- Hypertufa Pots – An attractive, lightweight alternative to stone and concrete planters, these rustic pots are handcrafted from cement, perlite and peatmoss. Ideal for succulents and other container plants. Various sizes and prices.
Bring our traveling boutique to your organization or group: Master Gardener volunteers will be happy to bring these items to meetings of garden clubs or plant societies. We’ll set up our boutique with a variety of merchandise for convenient shopping by your members. To make arrangements for us to attend an upcoming meeting or event, contact Gail Sims at email@example.com.
- 2018 - Master Gardener Association of San Diego County
Home| FAQs | Solve a Problem | School Program | Community Gardens | Resources | Speakers | Calendar | Contact
Map | Webmaster | UC
Nondiscrimination Policy | UC VMS