We are excited to have Claire Ehrlinger back as our instructor for the unit on soils. Not only is she very knowledgeable, Claire makes “dirt” exciting. She is the Lead Instructor in the Horticulture Department at Mira Costa College in Oceanside, CA since 2004. Claire, a Horticulture graduate of Michigan State University is a transplant from the Midwest, arriving in California in 2002. She currently teaches courses in Plant Identification, Irrigation, Plant Science and Landscape Management, and has taught Soils, Turf Management, Pests, and Floral Design. Claire is responsible for managing all aspects of a community college horticulture department offering Associate degrees and certificates in Nursery Management, Landscape Architecture, Irrigation, Landscape Management and Wine & Viticulture. She manages a 10-acre land laboratory, sales nursery, greenhouses, orchard, vineyard and a 16,000 sq. ft. classroom and lab building. She is a volunteer member of the board of directors of the Irrigation Foundation and also volunteers from time to time at the San Diego Botanic Garden.
- Read Chapter3
- Optional Soils Lecture slides from 2014
- Take the quiz for Chapter 3
- Prepare soil texture analysis using the Jar Test
- Do the Soil Drainage Test
- Bring to class:
- About 2 cups of dry soil from the same area of your yard where you did the drainage test.
- Your jar of soil and water from the texture/composition test. (Try not to disturb the layers of soil that settled out during the test.)